Friday 12 March 2010

Image Conscious

Lately, one of the Swallow's young ones has been very conscious of his image.  The hair must be combed a certain way.  The teeth must be shining white.  The clothes he wears must be 'cool'.  When those around him comment that he has 'put on' a bit, he would be seen eating less at the next meal (this only applies when his favourite dishes are not on the table!).

Gone are the days when he had the 'can't-be-bothered' attitude.  It is a good sign.  He is growing up.  The Swallow and her mate are looking forward to the days when he is conscious not only of his outward appearance but also of the condition of his heart.

Do you ever face this situation...you stand before a mirror, note your outward appearance, then walk away and forget what you look like?  The Swallow does, everyday, then gets a shock or a surprise (depending on what she was doing before that) at her appearance when she catches a sight of her reflection in the mirror or glass.

If there is such a thing as a mirror or glass that can see the condition of a man's heart, what would be revealed when the Swallow looks at her heart?

Psalm 51 : 10 (NKJV)
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Proverbs 27 : 19 (NKJV)
As in water face reflects face, so a man's heart reveals the man.

The Swallow is grateful that her heart, though it may be bruised, though it may be hurt, though it may not last, but because of the finished and perfect work of the Lord Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary, it will always be clean...the Swallow just needs to confess daily the sins that still pop up now and then...

1 John 1 : 9 (NKJV)
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Psalm 32 : 5 (NKJV)
I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I have not hidden.  I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD," and You forgave the iniquity of my sin.

In the words of a song the Swallow loves to sing...

IN THE IMAGE OF GOD (author unknown)

In the image of God we were made long ago
With a purpose divine, here His glory to show;
But we failed Him one day,
And like sheep, went astray
Thinking not of the cost
We His likeness had lost,
But from eternity God had in mind
The cross of Calvary - the lost to find;
From His heaven so broad,
Christ came down earth to trod
So that men might live again in the image of God!

Now that I have believed and the Saviour received,
Now that I from the guilt of my sin am relieved
I will live for my Lord, not for gain nor reward
But for love thinking of what His grace has restored!
I'll never comprehend redemption's plan -
How Christ could condescend to die for man?
Such a Saviour I'll praise
To the end of my days
As I upward, onward trod in the image of God!

No comments: