Friday 18 February 2011

The LORD is Salvation

After a couple of months break, the Swallow has begun another journey with the Bible Study Fellowship (BSF), this time seeking to learn from the man Isaiah.  He was a major prophet during the reign of four kings of Judah, namely Uzziah (Azariah), Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah, and his name means "The LORD is salvation."  God called him to deliver a message of warning, comfort and deliverance at a time when Judah was facing many challenges.

The book of Isaiah is found in the Old Testament and it has sixty-six chapters.

Although history is not her forte, the Swallow is looking forward to studying the book of Isaiah, simply because the LORD is her salvation.

Some of her favourite Bible passages from Isaiah...
  • Isaiah 9 : 6 (NKJV) - For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder.  And His name will be called Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
  • Isaiah 12 : 1 - 2 (NKJV) - And on that day you will say: "O LORD, I will praise You; though You were angry with me, Your anger is turned away, and You comfort me.  Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; 'for YAH, the LORD, is my strength and song; He also has become my salvation.'"
  • Isaiah 26 : 3 - 4 (NKJV) - You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.  Trust in the LORD forever, for in YAH, the LORD, is everlasting strength.
  • Isaiah 40 : 29 - 31 (NKJV) - He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength.  Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall, but those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.
  • Isaiah 46 : 4 (NKJV) - Even to your old age, I am He, and even to grey hairs I will carry you!  I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you.
There are also songs written which are based on the writings of Isaiah, and that is the icing on the cake for one who loves to sing!  The following chorus is based on Isaiah 61 : 3...

BEAUTY FOR ASHES (author unknown)

He gave me beauty for ashes
The oil of joy for mourning
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness
That we might be trees of righteousness
The planting of the LORD
That He might be glorified!

No comments: